Developers can generate their ChatGPT API key by visiting the OpenAI homepage and creating an account. After this, Tap on Personal, View API Key, and make an API key. By generating a ChatGPT API key, developers can incorporate AI chatbot ChatGPT into their own applications to gain benefits and enhance its capabilities.
Therefore, here we have mentioned a proper step-by-step direction on how to create an OpenAI API key along with mentioning its costs, setting limits, and more.
How to create an OpenAI account and get a private API key
Here’s how you can create an OpenAI account and generate a private API Key for yourself, you need to follow these below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the OpenAI homepage using this link OpenAI API
- Tap on the “Sign up” option and generate an account using your email
- Complete the verification procedure by providing your phone number
- Once done, log in to your account on ChatGPT API
- Now, to generate your API Key, click on the “Personal” option visible at the right corner
- Tap on “View API Key”
- Under it, select “Create new secret key”
- Then your API key will be generated for you, ensure you copy it and save it properly
You will get a free trial credit of $18 which can be utilized in the first three months of your access. Users can use this key for third-party tools. Once you have used the $18 free credit, you need to purchase tokens on OpenAI to keep using API.
OpenAI API key Cost
OpenAI charges users based on their monthly usage of tokens. The price structure of OpenAI API starts at $0.02 for 1000 tokens which equal about 750 words, this is for the most advanced model.
Similarly, if you used about 2500 tokens every day for twenty days for about a month, you will be charged about $1 monthly.
Which is quite affordable compared to the charges of ChatGPT Plus which costs about $20/month.
OpenAI provides free credits to its new users for $18 which can be consumed by the users in the first three months. Users can test ChatGPT API using these free credits and decide whether they want to invest further or not.
If you wish to continue using ChatGPT API, then you need to purchase tokens on OpenAI’s page by adding your credit card details on this link https://beta.openai.com/account/billing/payment-methods
If you have a paid setup, then you can even add a usage limit at https://beta.openai.com/account/billing/limits
Where do I find my Secret API Key?
You can find your Secret API Key in the user settings. You need to visit OpenAI’s page, log in using your Email, Tap on Personal, and Select “View API Keys,” you will be navigated to the API key page and you will see a list of existing API keys. You can generate a new key right on the spot by clicking “Create new API Key.”
How to Fix if OpenAI Incorrect API Key is Provided
Here’s what you can do to resolve the incorrect API Key issue:
Clear the browser’s cache and cookies
Users need to first clear all the cookies, outdated data, and cache from their browser. At times, browsers save and hold onto the older version of the API Key, which can result in causing this incorrect API key error. Therefore, you need to clear your browser data by following these steps:
- Open your Google Chrome
- Click on the top three dots on the right side of your screen
- Tap on the “History” option
- Now you need to click on clear browsing data
- Choose a time range and select all three options of “Cookies, cached images, and history”
- Now, Click on Clear data
For Safari you need to follow these instructions:
- Open Safari on your device
- Click on “Preferences” in the menu bar
- Select “Privacy” and choose “Manage Website Data”
- Tab on “Remove AII” and clear all the outdated data and cache files from your browser
For Firefox you need to follow these steps:
- Open Firefox on your PC
- Click on three lines visible on the right side of the screen
- Click “Options”
- Under options, you need to select “Privacy & Security”
- Now, choose “Cookies & site data”
- Select clear data and choose “Cookies & site data” along with “Cached web content”
Retry the request
Once you have cleared the cache and outdated data from your browser, you need to generate the request again. If you witness the same error appearing again then you need to follow these further methods.
Identify your API key
Identify the API Key you have used at https://beta.openai.com and verify it with the API key showcased in the error message. There is a potential the error message is containing an outdated or incorrect Key that you don’t use. We also suggest double-checking your API key before raising a request on ChatGPT API.
Ensure you aren’t using different API keys
There is a potential you might have entered an incorrect API Key or used two different API keys. Therefore, you must be careful while entering your key and ensure you are not switching between two keys.
Can I use OpenAI for free?
No, you need to purchase a subscription of 20/month to use ChatGPT Plus. ChatGPT API contains a pricing of its own depending on the tokens you purchase. However, you can use the basic version of ChatGPT for free, for which you need to generate an account on OpenAI, log in to ChatGPT and begin accessing it for free.
How do I get a GPT-3 key?
To obtain a key for GPT-3, you need to follow these few simple steps mentioned below:
- Firstly navigate to OpenAI’s homepage using this link https://platform.openai.com/account/api-keys via your preferred browser
- Login to your OpenAI account, if you don’t have an account, tap on Sign-up and generate one using your email
- Now, Click on the “Personal” option available on the right side of your screen
- Click on the “View API Keys” icon
- Choose “Create a new secret key,” and you will have a new GPT-3 API key generated for you
- Copy this key to keep it safe
The process to generate your OpenAI API Key is extremely simple and effortless. You need to generate an account on OpenAI, log in and create an API key by clicking on View API Key. Above we have mentioned all the information about the API Key in detail that will help resolve all your queries related to OpenAI API Key.